Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Individualistic colleagues

I have just started my new job in another aviation company on 1 Mar 2010. I carried an excited mentality on the first day of work. Thinking about new challenges, new colleagues and new environment just made me feel enthusiastic in working since I was bored with my previous jobscope and wanted a career which can take me to another new height and not to mention, better salary.

Within a week of working, my excited mood was dampen and felt that there was a heavy weight pulling down in my heart. I regret leaving my ex-company. It's not about salary. Not about the environment. Not about the work. But it's the colleagues as what you can see from the title.

When I asked them a question, they would never ever gave me an answer which I am satisfied with. They would open a file to let me see and slightly went through it by a minute. When I asked one of the colleague whether he could send the file to me so that I could have a better understanding, he just answered that that was old file which I could clearly see that it's an updated file. Even if it's an old file, I don't mind looking at it as I will be able to have a better understanding. They seemed to be scared of indulging information about the work that they had done as if I will take away their work. But the problem is that we have different jobscope and I will not snatch their job.

Although I came from an aviation company but the market is different. I used to work in MRO where there are only a few types of commercial engines and mainly airlines customers but now, it's about jet planes where there are so many types of jet planes and helicopters in the market and they are so many different types of services and different types of engines on a plane. Furthermore, people are constantly changing their private jets so it's quite difficult to keep track unless the sales people notify me.

Nobody is teaching me all these and I am constantly searching the internet for an answer. When I asked them a question, they will just answer that they are busy. Tamade...I don't understand what they are busy with. I only saw them busy chatting with other colleagues. If you are truly busy, then don't chat.

When I asked what they wanted from me in my current company, they told me that they wanted everything to input into an excel speadsheet. Hey! I am doing in an excel spreadsheet and not a web. When I informed them about launching the project into a website, my boss told me that I have to start doing it in a spreadsheet first and will consider launching a website as it is about the same. But it's totally different because a web-based development can just do a search by clicking once and all data will come out and can store numerous data. But excel spreadsheet?!

The culture is just different from my previous company. Although the two bad culture in my previous company are working within their appointed jobscope and not willing to voice out as they will be the ones doing it in the end where they are not supposed to be the ones doing it. At least, they are willing to teach and I don't mind doing what others are supposed to do because I will learn more in this way. I remembered when I first came into my previous job, there was a person teaching me the types of engines that they do, the basics of how an engine works and the expectations from me. Even after a few years at work, my boss was constantly teaching me new things.

But now, I am swimming on my own. It's either I will swim to the shore and survive or I will just die in the deep sea where nobody is teaching me how to swim first. I wish someone will pass me a float soon.

I casually talked to Michelle about this and she told me that I am likeable and believe as time goes by, they will be willing to accept you as part of their clique. But I don't think so. They are afraid that their rice bowl will be stolen. Now, I just hope that things will improve and I can deliver my work with excellence.

I'm really missing my ex-colleagues and friends. Miss the laughter and lunch time together.

No comments: